Well, I'd say this is a pretty big announcement. Today we've changed our forum software from SMF to phpBB. Let me explain why this switch was made.
1) Better security - On the last forum, you probably noticed that numerous bots somehow were able to sign up and spam inappropriate content here and there. As far as I know, this software provides better security and there are ways to improve it even further.
2) More support - SMF is a fairly new product. phpBB has been around for years and has gone through numerous releases. Some would argue that phpBB is the most popular forum software available. Because of this, you'll get a better experience. I'll be able to add "fun" stuff to the forum that otherwise wasn't possible with SMF.
3) More flexible - Installing updates to SMF was a pain in the butt. I couldn't even automatically upgrade to the newest version, as I explained a few weeks ago. This really motivated me to make the move to phpBB.
4) Past experience - Before Nintendo Everything, I worked on a few other websites (long time ago). However, during that time, I had a ton of experience with phpBB. Implementing SMF on NE was a difficult move as a result.
5) Main site connection - This is the most important reason. I am hoping that with phpBB, I'll be able to tie in user accounts and possibly comments with the main site. When a post goes live on NE's front page, a topic will be posted on the boards here. This is a work in progress, though I hope that it'll happen somewhat soon.
Right now, I'm happy to be back with phpBB. The good news is that I was able to convert the old database, so all posts, topics, and stats have been retained here. Please let me know if you see anything that's broken, though.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I'll try and have a new chatbox installed soon.